Happy PR Monday Everyone!
Last week we defined exactly what PR is and is not. This week I want us to think a little bit about WHY you want to work with PR. What are your goals and intentions?
The gals over at Savvy Blogging (who rock, so check them out) encouraged everyone last week to set some blog goals.While you are working through that challenge, lets talk specifically about your blogs PR goals. As their post said:
If you don’t know where you are going, any train will get you there.
We all have different reasons for working with PR and no one should judge what your personal reasons are.
Here are my reasons for connecting with PR:
- I like free stuff (sounds shallow but hey, it is true!)
- My kids LOVE getting the newest gadget out there and tickets to lots of fun events.
- I like bringing attention to causes that are important to me (cause marketing campaigns)
- I like to tell my friends about things I love and warn them about things I loathe.
- I love being sponsored at conventions and blogger meet ups.
- Oh, and we love free stuff (did I say that one already?)
Those are my reasons. If you already work with PR, get out a paper and pencil and write down what you love about it. Go, ahead we will wait….
Now lets think about what you want to do in 2010 in terms of PR.
I will throw my goals out there:
- I would like to increase my ‘influence’ (readership, reach, etc.) which will allow me to take advantage of better PR opportunities.
- I would like to form more long lasting relationships with PR reps.
- I would like to commit to more cause marketing campaigns.
- I would like to be sponsored for the majority of blogging conference I hope to attend including BlogHer, EVO and IZEAFest.
- I would like to be invited to several sponsored blogger meet-ups.
- I would like to, at a minimum, double my “hourly rate”
So, now that I know where I am going in terms of PR, it is time for you to make your own list. You don’t need to publish it anywhere. Just do it for you. Be clear on why you want to get involved with PR. PR can take loads of your time if you let it and you will refer back to this list throughout the year to double check that the opportunities you are taking fit your goals.
On the free stuff note-this is an easy trap to get sucked into and it really deserves it’s own post! So, even though it is “PR Mondays” I am going to follow up tomorrow on the subject of determining your ‘hourly rate’. Hopefully it will give you some insight on how much ‘money’ you are actually making per pitch. I will give you sample pitches from my inbox that should give you a look at what you can soon expect in yours! See you back here for that discussion on Tuesday!
Have a topic you want discussed in this series??? You can do one of two things:
- Come over to the Blog Star community and open up a discussion in the PR area. While The Blog Frog community is free, access to the Blog Star area is part of their premium membership. I am not compensated in any way for you joining over there. I just happen to really support the community.
- Leave me a comment here. I will try to answer these in the comment section so subscribe to the comments area if you leave one!