In the next month I plan to buy a car. Whether or not it is new will depend on pricing and other details but the main gist of my car hunt is to find something for Carter and I. Let me repeat that—for the first time I am looking for a car that fits just Carter and I. That feels so good to say! Finally! Bob will take the older SUV and pass that to Con next year when he starts driving. So, this car is really about making life easier for the two of us to get around-wheelchair and all.
I’m wondering how I can bring social media and blogging into this hunt??? Cause the deal is, I AM buying the car. I have no illusions that by being a blogger I should get any sort of deal, let’s face it, I am not that popular of a blogger~LOL! What I am hoping is that the social media departments of some car companies may help to make sure I find the RIGHT car for us. I am going to be blogging my way through this both here and on Spina Bifida Connection because in the disability world, the right car makes all the difference in your level of independence-whether you are the driver or not. AND for a mom with a wheelchair using kid, it makes all the difference in how much work is involved getting the kiddo out and about. Ideally, as part of this hunt, I would be able to try out several different cars in more than a 20 min test drive.
I would like to really examine some of the options out there. Right now I am pretty open but I have narrowed a few things down.
What I want:
- Super easy access for Carter to transfer into the front, passenger seat. It should have as little of a difference in height from his wheelchair seat as possible. Our current car is too low and the SUV is too high.
- Probably looking for a ‘cross over’-a mix of a car and an SUV. I rented a cross over Kia Sorrento this past summer and liked the overall feel of this style of car.
- Decent leg room all around. While Bob and Connor won’t be the main riders of this car, they are 6’2 and 6’8. They should be comfortable if we need to use it as a family.
- Something with an easy lift up SUV type trunk that I can throw the wheelchair in without having to do any breakdown.
- All wheel drive for those CO roads.
- High crash and safety ratings
- Easy, fold down seats
Somethings that will weigh into the decision if I find a few models with the above criteria:
- Gas mileage. Would love to explore alternative fuel options-not big on the corn fed alternatives though
- Socio-economic and ecological impact of the manufacture
- Cup holders-big ones, in the middle of the passenger and driver–yeah, silly I know but it’s the little things
- navigation system
- ipod jack and satellite radio (we are passed the days of needing dvd entertainment systems for the kids)
- LOVE the safety of ONSTAR in the SUV I have now….would like a system like that again
- High reviews from current owners and places like Consumer Reports
- Thinking I want a silver color-seems like it would blend road sludge the best
- Would like to look at ramp/lift systems but we are not ready to go there yet. Carter can still transfer safely given the right environment.
- Heated seats
SO, who has suggestions on what I need to add to my list or a car they love I should check out? He is having surgery in 2 weeks and I would like to spend this last bit of time we have before the major recoup visiting lots and having him try them out.